Course of Study and Syllabus
Grades 9,10,11and 12
1. Students are responsible for attending class daily.
3 late =1 unexcused absent 20 absences = loss of credit
2. Students are to be respectful to the teacher, classmates, shop equipment and projects.
3. No food is allowed in the shop.
4. Students are responsible for their equipment.
5. Students are not permitted to wear coats during shop and hoodies.
6. Offensive clothing is prohibited.
7. All students are to think about their actions and the outcome. (Be responsible and accountable)
8. WORKSHOES / BOOTS are recommended to be worn in shop, NO open toed shoes will be allowed. Students will receive a zero if not prepared to work.
9. Zero tolerance will be enforced.
10. Students will be ready for work upon entering shop.
11. Cell phones, and electronic devices are not permitted in shop. (radio’s and ipod’s, etc.)
12. Proper clothing attire is to be worn at all times.NO TANK TOPS!!!!!
13.Students are not permitted to bring their own personal tools to school. All tools required will be provided by the teacher.
Safety is job #1 ( SAFETY, SAFETY, SAFETY )
1. Always wear protective equipment when in the shop area, such as glasses, goggles, and or a face shield.
2. No Horseplay.
3. Follow directions first time given.
4. Do not wear loose clothing.
5. Maintain your personal upkeep. (come to shop well rested and practice good hygiene).
6. Always be aware of material, equipment in use and be cautious of flammables.
7. A good work ethic is to be used at all times.
8. Personal hygiene is the responsibility of each student.
9. Keep shop and work areas clean.
10. Have teacher’s permission before operating machinery.
EVERY 3 SAFETY VIOLATIONS WILL RESULT IN THE LOWERING OFTHE STUDENTS GRADE BY 1 LETTER GRADE
1. All students will be required to participate in workshop activities on a daily basis.
2. Students will be given daily grades for their performance.
3. Failure to participate will result in the student receiving a zero as a grade for that day.
4. Class work will be turned in when required.
5. Homework is due the next day, if homework is not turned in, the student will receive a zero for the assignment.
6. Excused absences will have consideration.
7. Practice, practice, practice.
50% Student Performance and Participation
25% Quizzes and Tests and Homework
Students may be given a Quiz once a week.
Quizzes may be written, oral, and practical.
Tests will be written, oral, or practical.
STUDENTSTHAT ARE SUSPENDED FROM SCHOOL FOR ANY REASON WILL RECEIVE MAKE UP WORK FOR THAT DAY. IF WORK IS NOT COMPLETED THE STUDENT WILL RECEIVE A ZERO AS A SHOPGRADE FOR THAT DAY !
Measurements, reading the ruler
Understanding wood and wood products
To be able to identify and properly use hand and power equipment in the trade
Gain the ability to understand plans, drawings, and cutting lists
Become capable of working from plans and drawings
Identify common joinery and be capable to produce such joinery
Have basic knowledge of residential carpentry
Prepare for the transition form workshop to employment in the trade
All placed students will be issued 1 pair of safety glasses and a text book. These items are the responsibility of each student. All safety glasses and text books will be returned at the end of the school year. Any student missing their issued pair of glasses or book will be responsible for replacement. Cost, $5.00/Glasses, $65.00/book. Safety glasses will be replaced only if the safety glasses are unusable and considered a safety hazard. Students who carelessly damage their glasses will not be issued a replacement pair. And will be responsible to provide their own.
Textbooks will be returned at the end of the year in good condition.
My teacher, Mr. Wiater has explained these coarse requirements to me, and I assume all responsibility as a student and an apprentice carpenter to follow them.
Please retain one copy for your self, for future references. Have your child return one copy to myself once you have signed it.
James J. Wiater
PARENT or GUARDIAN _________________________________ Date______________