Middlesex County Vocational and Technical SchoolsCelebrating 100 Years inExcellence in CTE
On October 26, 1914, Judge Peter F. Daly issued an order establishing a Board of Education for Vocational Schools in the County of Middlesex and appointed five members, including the Middlesex County Superintendent of Schools. With this act, our school system became one of the first County Vocational School Systems in the United States. On September 20, 1915, the first full-time county vocational school known as Middlesex County Vocational School No. 1 was opened in a rented building on Guilden Street in New Brunswick. Fifty-one boys enrolled in woodworking, mechanical drawing, and related subjects. During the school year 1915-16, a one-story building was built on Bertrand Avenue in Perth Amboy to be known as Middlesex County Vocational School No. 2. It opened on October 1, 1916 with an enrollment of forty-five students. Subjects studied were machine shop practice, mechanical drawing, mathematics, science, English, and civics. On October 20, 1919, the boys vocational departments at the Guilden Street school were moved to a new building on Easton Avenue in New Brunswick. The old building on Guilden Street was used for home economics courses for girls, being the first all-day program for girls in our county schools. The school on Guilden Street eventually closed in 1925. On September 12, 1927, the faculty and pupils of the Middlesex County Vocational School No. 2 moved to a new building located on New Brunswick Avenue in Perth Amboy. In 1938 the Board of Education accepted a grant from the Federal Government to build a girls’ vocational school. On property given by Mr. and Mrs. Hampton Cutter, the present school in Woodbridge was completed in 1939. It opened September 18, 1939 with an enrollment of 194. On April 1, 1949, the State Board of Education approved the establishment of the Middlesex County Adult Technical School for the purpose of providing full-time pre-employment training for adults in skilled trades and technical occupations. The Middlesex County Vocational and Technical High School in East Brunswick opened for students in September, 1970, with course offerings in eighteen trades and doubling the capacity of the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical High Schools. In 1972, with a grant from the Division of Vocational Education of the Department of Education, the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical High Schools initiated a Special Needs Program for classified handicapped students. The program consisted of two employment orientation shops located at the New Brunswick facility and served forty students on a shared-time basis. In September 1974, the program was expanded to include an additional employment orientation classroom at the Woodbridge School. In 1974, a horticulture building was constructed on the site of the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical High School, East Brunswick. In 1975, a Cooperative Industrial Education program was adopted. Students could gain valuable work experience in the trade for which they were being trained, while completing the twelfth grade. A Special Needs addition was added on the East Brunswick School site in 1977. The addition included eleven shop programs for 300 special needs students. A fifth vocational and technical high school, located at the site of the former Camp Kilmer in Piscataway Township, opened its doors for the first time in 1977. An addition of four classrooms and an adaptive gymnasium was added to the Special Needs Department at East Brunswick in 1979.
In 1982, additions were added at the Piscataway and Woodbridge Schools to provide additional vocational programs for students with disabilities. On November 3, 2000, the Ribbon Cutting Ceremony of the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical High Schools’ Academy for Science, Mathematics and Engineering Technologies marked the inauguration of the district’s first high school that focuses on math, science and technologies. The Edison Academy is a specialized high school located on the campus of Middlesex County College. Students major in Electronics and Computer Engineering Technology or Civil and Mechanical Engineering Technology. On April 19, 2004, the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools’ new technology enriched replacement school for the Perth Amboy Campus, that was part of the redevelopment and revitalization of the City of Perth Amboy, opened for students. The Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools’ district has served the community of Perth Amboy since 1915. The school features a program of study that focuses on instruction in emerging technologies and a curriculum that emphasizes a linkage between secondary and post-secondary education. Middlesex County College is also located at this facility. The Woodbridge Campus of the Middlesex County Vocational and Technical Schools was renovated and converted into the Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences. The Academy of Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences began its first class in September 2008 after three years of building renovations. This is a four-year, full-time high school dedicated to advancing the education of high performing students in Middlesex County. This Academy program prepares high school students for success in college and careers in allied health and biomedical sciences. The renovation included the addition of two academic classrooms and two state of the art science labs. From the humble beginnings in 1914, our schools and services to the residents, businesses and industry of Middlesex County have grown significantly.