Welcome to Physical Education and Health
PISCATAWAY TECH HIGH SCHOOL PHYSICAL EDUCATIONPE/HEALTH SYLLABUSThe Health and Physical Education Program is scheduled as a 4 marking period course. All students must be enrolled in Health/Physical Education every year of enrollment as required for graduation by the State and Board Policy. The Health class is one marking period (Driver Education in 10th grade), and the Physical Education class is three marking periods.
This course will consist of Team Sports (Basketball, Softball, Volleyball, Ultimate Frisbee, Speedball, etc), Individual Sports (Weight Training, Tennis, Golf, Badminton, Recreational Games, etc.), and Physical Fitness (Cardio – Vascular Development, Strength, Flexibility, etc.).
As per the Board Policy on Student Attendance, students who exceed 20 days of unexcused absences in PE, will be required to attend Enrichment Intervention program
Tardiness – tardiness will be handled on an individual basis, which could include a warning, teacher detention, referral to administration, etc.
● Any absence from class may require you to make up all work that you miss.
● Anyone leaving class early without permission will be issued a cut slip.
● Students are not excused from Physical Education to work in other classes.
● No passes from other teachers are accepted for missing class.
Students may be excused from PE class for medical reasons according to the following guidelines:
● Parent Note - A parental note may be accepted by the PE teacher for a one day excuse only, but the student must still get changed for Physical Education class. No more than 2 notes a Marking Period
● Nurse - In order to go to the nurse, a student must be prepared for PE (dressed) and given a pass by the PE teacher. The nurse and teacher will determine if you will be excused.
● Doctor’s Notes - Students must have a doctor’s note for an extended excuse, and you do not change for PE. The PE teacher must sign the note before you go to the nurse for follow – up, verification and approval. The doctor’s note must indicate the diagnosis, and specify the length of time for the excuse (a note indicating “Until Further Notice” will only be good for a maximum of 30 days, and must be followed up thereafter). Up to 5 days excused, the student can remain in the PE class – over 5 days, they will be assigned to the Media Center. The excused student will have to do an essay for each week the student is excused from PE. Check with the teacher for details about the report
EVALUATION PROCESS (see chart for more detail)
Students in Physical Education will be evaluated based on 4 criteria: Participation, Performance, Preparation, Written Assignments/Tests. You start with an A, it’s up to you to keep it
1. Students must be actively involved in warm-up activities, stretching and all pre-class activities.
2. Students must adhere to all directions, class/game rules and safety measures.
3. Students must work up to their potential and ability when applying learned skills.
4. Students must apply sportsmanship, cooperation and team concepts for all games.
5. Respect for classmates is expected at all times.
6. No Cell phones or electronic devices during PE classes.
1. Improvement and proficiency in application of skills.
2. Effort, disposition and attitude. (Do not ruin the game by behavior or effort)
3. Using the proper terminology, rules, strategies, tactics, safety and etiquette of the activity.
4. Fitness Assessments-must put forth effort.
Written Tests / Assignments (20%)
1. Written tests and/or quizzes will be administered in activity/fitness.
2. Assignments may be written or other projects related to the course content.
3. Two a marking period
1. Students will be given 4-5 minutes to get changed before and after class.
2. PE Dress Code – Any student that does not wear PE acceptable clothes is considered unprepared for PE class and cannot participate.
- Sweatshirts, sweatpants, White T- shirts with sleeves(no V-neck) and gym/basketball shorts that match the school dress code are acceptable – clothing with zippers and belt loops, including jeans and cargo shorts, are not acceptable.
- Soffe style shorts are not an appropriate length for PE activities.
- All logos and sayings must be appropriate for school.
- Socks and appropriate sneakers must be worn for all activities – platform or clog sneakers (without backs) are not permitted, and sneakers must be tied at all times.
*Preparation includes promptness to class, being on your roll spot on time for attendance, participating properly in all pre-class warm-ups/stretches, no gum chewing, wearing appropriate clothing, etc.
Other ways to receive an unprepared include:
- unable to dress for class due to tardiness
- arriving late to class without a pass
- staying in another class without teacher permission
- refusing to remove jewelry
PE teachers will not secure student jewelry, and the school district is not responsible for injury due to wearing stud earrings, or for lost, stolen or misplaced jewelry. Students who do not remove jewelry cannot participate and are considered unprepared for PE class.
Body Piercing – It is recommended that students not have body piercing done when assigned to PE class – these things should be done during the Health cycle, or during vacations, summers, etc. However, if a doctor’s note is provided to substantiate the need for a medical excuse due to body piercing, only 1-5 days will be excused (and only with a doctor’s note). Only one 5-day exemption per year is allowed. Students cannot participate in PE class with body piercing jewelry.
The following procedures will be followed for the students’ first two marking periods of Physical Education:
● 1st UNPREPARED - teacher warning to student
● 2nd UNPREPARED – submits interim in danger of failing.
● 3rd UNPREPARED – teacher calls home, sends a letter/email home, submits interim in danger of failing.
● 4th UNPREPARED – student fails for the marking period and remains in class to participate -if the student becomes a discipline problem, they will be referred to Administration.
*Students will start with a clean slate every marking period.
Students may make up zeros by attending and participating in After School PE on Wednesdays. Students change into PE attire and run a mile for each zero. (Max 2 in 1 day.) Students may not make up cuts of PE class.
**Throughout the school year your child may be videotaped or have his/her picture taken and displayed on the school or Phys. Ed. Dept. website to promote Physical Fitness and acknowledge outstanding performances in class. Your child’s name will not be associated with any videos or images. I agree to have my child videotaped/photographed during class(YES / NO)
This signed document will be kept on file by the students’ Physical Education teacher.
STUDENT NAME (PRINT)________________________________________ PE Teacher____________________
STUDENT SIGNATURE __________________________________________ PE Period _______
PARENT/GUARDIAN SIGNATURE ______________________________________
Phone: 732-985-0717 ext 2243
Degrees and Certifications: