Advisor: Señor Ocker
Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica
Capítulo Luisa Valenzuela
In 2003 the first members of Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica established the Luisa Valenzuela chapter at Middlesex County Academy. As part of the charter requirements the members chose an honorable figure in Hispanic history to adopt as a chapter name. Hence, the members chose the Argentine author, Luisa Valenzuela, and subsequently, contacted Ms. Valenzuela, requesting permission to adopt her name as a chapter of the society.
The Spanish Honor Society recognizes the highest achievers who have committed to at least 3 years of Spanish studies at the Academy, and will continue studies in the Hispanic language in the future. Induction takes place annually in the spring. Once selected and inducted, SHS members must partake in a community service project.
Capitulo Luisa Valenzuela
Requirements for Induction:
1. Candidates must have completed at least 2 years of Spanish at the Academy.
2. Sophomore candidates must achieve a cumulative average in Spanish of "A+" (98) at the time of candidacy, and must be enrolled in Spanish III or AP for their Junior year.
3. Junior candidates must achieve a cumulative average in Spanish of "A" (94) at the time of candidacy and be enrolled in AP Spanish for their Senior year.
4. Senior candidates must be enrolled in AP Spanish and achieve a cumulative average of "A-" (90).
5. A student who receives a Gold medal on the National Spanish Exam during their Sophomore, Junior or Senior year will receive an invitation.
6. Candidates must be in good academic standing in all classes to be considered.
7. Members must participate in a community service event.
8. Candidates must take an oath to study Spanish for life.